Thursday, July 4, 2013

My Women


Find me on Facebook and visit my website, http://www.bfoswaldauthor.com. Thank you.

I like women but I don't understand them. My knowledge of female anatomy, physiology, and psychology is current because of my personal interest and because I needed to be as up-to-date and correct about these aspects to accurately inform my students in my Human Sexuality, Developmental Psychology, Marriage and Family, and Aging courses. But even after twenty-five years of teaching these courses and dialoging with my students of both genders relative to these complexities, I still don't understand women at a gut level. To compound this paradox, I write about them almost exclusively; in every one of my novels female protagonists out number my male protagonists about four to one.

I find men to be generally one dimensional, women to be multi-dimensional. Men are like windowpane, women like diamonds. Rotate the first in a sunbeam and the light is hardly refracted; rotate the other in a sunbeam and you get a different pattern with each turn or twist. These are obviously generalizations written in the full light of the fact that there are exceptions to every rule in human behavior.

Ellen, in Echoes of Ellen, reveals her character in the stories she wrote. In Flood: A Saga, Margaret Vanderzen, Hannah Yoder, Claudia Raber and Vivian Conklin show their capabilities and determination when faced with adversity. Rea Parker in Five Women in Black demonstrates resiliency in spite of the nasty turns of fate that beset her. Levelheaded and dynamic Alexis in The Footpath is my favorite. The Rental showcases Suzie Q, who although 'slow' maximizes her limited abilities with aplomb and charm. This is a partial list; there are others who you may find equally interesting also. Please let me know your favorites.

I think it takes a lot of courage, or maybe a large measure of naiveté, for a man to feature a woman as the primary protagonist in a novel; I inhabit the latter realm. I build my stories around women in the hope that by so doing I may more fully understand their complexity as well as to show my appreciation of them—and sometimes I even fall in love with one.





















No comments:

Post a Comment