Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Watching Dragonflies

Find me on Facebook and visit my website, http://www.bfoswaldauthor.com. Thank you.


It rained last night

An unusual deluge
as if a celestial pitcher
filled to overflowing
had been emptied all at once

It drummed on the roof
on the awnings
on the earth
that opened its parched mouth
and drank deeply

It woke me and I knew

I awoke again in the nascent dawn
and reach for his arm to feel it flex
then stretch over his head
creating a harbor for me against his breast
his arms around me
a comforting harbor that brought me out of the black sea of sleep
a safe anchorage for the day ahead

I reach for his hand
my fingers remain empty
tears moisten my eyes


I stand on our patio
the sun’s crescent crashes against the shores of night
and I watch it rise until its brilliance blinds me

Then I look out
across our yard
and wait

Suddenly
from a dozen tiny holes in the sand
they begin to rise

At first in twos and threes
then a host
a myriad of tiny bodies fluttering on gossamer wings
ascending in a cloud
that looks like ragged lace fluttering in the gentle breeze

A dragonfly appears
darting quickly
he steals a tiny body
then another

His sister joins the feast
and his cousins
and his friends

The lacy cloud is soon
rent asunder

The dragonflies disperse
flashing brilliant colors in the sunlight

It is over all too soon

We watched this together
for fifty-two wonderful years

At this moment I do not feel so alone



No comments:

Post a Comment