Thursday, August 22, 2013

Object Lesson?

Find me on Facebook and visit my website, http://www.bfoswaldauthor.com. Thank you.


Our office in Baltimore was on the edge of the tenderloin district. In order to get one of the best corned-beef sandwiches I have ever had, I had to walk five blocks on East Lombard through the heart of the district to get to Harry Attman’s Delicatessen. Along the way, it was not uncommon to be approached by at least a half dozen panhandlers seeking handouts.

One of my occasional luncheon partners was our imports inspector Bill Phillips, a large, gruff, no-nonsense man who refused the beggars with uncharitable harshness. However I watched in some awe at his change of heart when confronted by a street urchin of maybe nine or ten. The little girl tugged at his sleeve and lisped, "Mister, my momma is sick and we are poor and she can't give me any money. Can you please give me a nickel so I can buy my little brother some candy." She pointed to her left where an even more bedraggled lad of maybe four or five sat huddled in a doorway crying softly.

"Young lady," Bill said rather pompously, "what you are doing is very bad. If you continue to do this when you are older, men will want something in return for the money they give you and you may not want to do what they expect. If I give you a nickel, will you promise me that you will never ask another stranger for money?

The child looked contritely at her feet and shyly mumbled a promise. In return, Bill gave her a quarter.


No comments:

Post a Comment