Monday, August 26, 2013

The high price of great wealth

Find me on Facebook and visit my website, http://www.bfoswaldauthor.com. Thank you.


As part of an investigation I was working, I had to interview a retired attorney who had become very wealthy defending big players in organized crime (including Al Capone) and who now lived in one of the most exclusive counties south of Baltimore. His restored antebellum mansion was situated in beautiful rolling countryside at the end of a long, winding drive set between large old oaks. Before I could enter the drive, I had to announce myself at a call box to have the tall iron gate prohibiting casual traffic opened for me. As I parked in front of the house I felt more than just a twinge of envy.

I was admitted to the large ornate foyer by a butler who informed me that the gentleman with whom I had the appointment was waiting for me on the deck at poolside to which he accompanied me. A diminutive old man in a wheelchair greeted me; a lap robe covered his legs even though the day was very warm. His face showed the signs of a lingering illness. His hand shook as he handed me the documents for which I had come.

The pool was very large and obviously well maintained as were the beautifully landscaped grounds within my view. In a paddock at the bottom of the rise upon which sat the house, two thoroughbreds were occupied in a playful, mock battle.

I had just finished my interview when we were joined by a middle-aged woman introduced as his housekeeper who said it was time for his lunch. He appealed to me to join him, saying he so seldom received guests that my company would be most welcomed. At his bidding the housekeeper offered me a choice of several foods including steak and lobster. I settled for a burger and potato chips. In a few moments I was served one of the best steak burgers I can ever remember eating along with a generous portion of delicious potato chips and a superb milkshake. His meal came under a cover on a silver salver. When he lifted the cover I was surprised to see two small bowls of pureed gruel. He looked longingly at my plate and said, "I would give all of this..." he pointed over my shoulder at the house and then in a feeble sweeping motion, at the grounds around him, "...if I could eat what you are having." I left feeling much more satisfied with my own lot in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment