Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Love, Marriage and Children-I

For readers' reviews of my books, visit my website, http://www.bfoswaldauthor.com. Thank you.



A young couple coming to me for pre-marriage counseling almost danced their way into my office for their session, overflowing with excitement and happiness. Their parents owned adjacent farms; the young man unwillingly worked for his father—he wanted a career in the Air Force; the young woman, a post-graduate journalism student currently unemployed lived at home. Six months before, the young bride-to-be had sought my advice. She had been offered an internship at the Washington Post that was a real plum, but her parents were trying hard to dissuade her from taking it because it would mean her moving away from home. She was torn between taking advantage this opportunity and loyalty to her parents. Finally she gave into her parents' pressure and turned down the offer.

Their news of moment seemed to have offset their disappointments of a few months before; her parents were giving them three acres of their farm on which to build a house, and his parents were going to give them the money necessary to do so. Flags of caution unfurled into wind-snapping attention in my mind. I knew that those were the worst possible wedding presents they could be given because I knew full well their parents' motives were anything but pure.

Both of the intendeds were only children and doted upon. His father was grooming him to take over the farm eventually even though the young man hated the idea. Her parents, especially her mother, wanted her to stay close to home ostensibly to help her parents run their farm. It was a given that eventually the two farms would become one, eventually insuring a bright financial future for the young couple and especially for their parents' grandchildren!

The young couple wondered why I seem to welcome their news with a response that was on the positive side of anxiety. Knowing both families rather well, I had been their clergyman for three years, I was sure I understood their parents' motives. I knew there was little I could say to discourage the young people and they gratefully accepted the gifts in spite of my words of caution. What I imagined would happen did and their marriage only survived a little over three years. Why? More of the story tomorrow.

What do you think of this article? Please post your comment on my Facebook Timeline, on Facebook, or send it to me at mailto:bfoswald78@gmail.com.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment